Cable Bay Cafe: A Must When Visiting Nelson, New Zealand
Visiting Nelson, New Zealand?! Stop in for lunch at the Cable Bay Cafe!
While I was traveling through New Zealand, I stopped in Nelson to visit my friend Helen who I went to high school with. On one of the days I was visiting, Helen asked if I wanted to go on a hike to Cable Bay. I agreed and we went off on an 8 km hike through the bay. After our hike, we stopped in for lunch at the quaint Cable Bay Cafe.
FOR MORE HELPFUL POSTS AND LINKS:
- Tips For Getting into Auckland
- Christchurch, Queenstown & Milford Sound
- A Nelson Photo Diary
- 2 Must Do Free Activities In Wellington
- 90 Mile Beach and Cape Reinga
- Bay Of Islands and Waitangi Day
- For more travel tips and other destination guides
- Use this link to book the best deals on your accommodations
- Use this link to research your flights and car rental
- Get a discount off your first stay with Air BNB by using this link
Gorgeous scenery in Cable Bay near Nelson, New Zealand
After our Cable Bay hike, Helen and I rewarded ourselves with a nice late lunch at the Cable Bay Cafe. The cafe overlooks the Bay and Pepin Island. The restaurant seats 20 people inside but almost triple that outside the cafe. Their food focuses on local seafood and vegetarian dishes and they also serve wine from local wineries.
My green lipped mussels
I used to not order seafood much when I ate out but I had to try the local seafood in New Zealand. I ordered the grilled green-lipped mussels with an arrabbiata sauce and cheese served with ciabatta bread. I also tried Helen’s kedgeree and it was tasty as well.
The Cable Bay Cafe is only open in the summer months (New Zealand’s summer which is our winter!)!! If you happen to visit Nelson, I definitely recommend a visit for a meal, especially after a hike.
Cable Bay Cafe
799 Cable Bay Rd
20 minutes north of Nelson
ph: 03 546 8799