Road Trip Packing List: What To Bring On The Drive
Planning a road trip? Use this road trip packing list to pre-plan!
For the last several years I’ve gone on a big road trip in the summer. I usually drive up the coast from Southern California to Canada. Occasionally I’ll road trip from SoCal to the Bay Area or sometimes a short trip and go to Palm Springs or Las Vegas. So yes, I love road trips. I wanted to share a road trip packing list to help you prepare for any upcoming adventures!
Solo road tripping along the Pacific Coast Highway
Road Trip Packing List – Items For Your Car
- Flashlight – a solar, hand crank one would be good so you don’t need batteries
- First Aid Kit – you can make one or buy a pre-made one like this
- Jumper cables
- Basic tools
- Car fluids – oil, windshield washer fluid, etc.
- Spare tire and tire jack
- Folding Shovel – in case your car gets stuck in mud
Road Trip Packing List – Things You Need
- Music – I have a Spotify paid membership or I use Pandora in the USA
- Audio Books / Podcasts – I’m currently loving my Audible membership and listening to books in the car!
- Blanket – to stay warm, to use as a picnic or beach blanket
- Pillow – to have some familiarity when staying somewhere different
- Coins for parking or tolls
- GPS / Paper Maps
- If you use your phone for GPS, have a hands-free holder
- Wet Wipes
- Hand Sanitizer
- Notebook & Pen
- Paper Towel, toilet roll, tissue
- Duct tape & WD40
- Ziploc bags
- Small garbage bag
- Cooler for food
- Snacks – I try to make sure and bring/buy healthy snacks so I don’t feel so sluggish
- Case of water – I always stay hydrated so I just buy a case and have one in my car
- Rain jacket
**I don’t travel without travel insurance. You never know when bad things happen so best to be prepared. I use Allianz as my service provider for travel insurance.
Click here to buy Allianz Travel Insurance
Road trip packing list: Useful Items For Road Trippers
As a solo road tripper, many of the photos I would not be able to take without my trusty selfie stick or tripod. I know selfie sticks are frowned upon, but I mostly use them when I am alone and there is no one else to ask.
*Click on the links to see more detail or purchase**
Click to buy insulated travel mug
SAVE THIS TO PINTEREST
Please share what is on your road trip packing list in comments below! What can you not drive without?
**Links shared in this post are affiliate links. You are not charged extra to buy but if purchased through the retailer I recommend, I earn a tiny commission for the sale. Purchases through affiliates help me with the cost of running this site and sharing helpful travel information with you, my fellow traveler. It’s always appreciated if you use my affiliate links but never expected. Thank you for the support.**