Toledo, Spain: An Easy Day Trip To A UNESCO World Heritage Site From Madrid!
Planning to visit Madrid, Spain? Toledo, a UNESCO heritage site is about an hour away from Madrid and a perfect day trip if you have the time. When I was in Madrid (in 2011), I had a lung infection and was very sick. I was supposed to be recuperating but I could not stand being stuck inside so I wrapped myself up and got on a ALSA bus and went to Toledo for the day. It’s a very cheap bus ride to this historic city and worth the adventure!! Originally it was the capital of Spain up until the 1500s when the royal court moved to Madrid.
AWESOME PRODUCTS THAT I USE ON EVERY TRIP!
Here are some photos from my day trip:
The Alcazar or fortification of the city. I didn’t get a good whole shot of it
Another angle of the Alcazar
Nuns in Plaza Zocodover
I love the Old City and its maze-like streets. I had a sim card with data and I was able to use Google Maps to navigate and not get lost!
Tips for Toledo:
- The Alsa bus is very cheap and efficient. There is no need to drive unless you are driving all over Spain and already have a car. I took a bus from Plaza Elíptica in Madrid (check for new updated info) and the ride was about an hour long each way. The bus stops running at 9 pm. You will definitely enough time to do a day trip and come back!
- You can definitely see a lot in a day so there is not need to stay in Toledo unless you really want to. Do make a plan with what you want to see beforehand.
- When I first when to Toledo in 2011, the Cathedral was closed. I visited it this past fall (2016) and I definitely think it’s worth the admission price. I did miss out on seeing Santa Maria la Blanca, which was a synagogue but is now a museum.
- Also, consider walking to the Mirador which is a beautiful viewpoint. I was in a car but I read online that you can take a bus (#71) there. For further info, there’s a tourist information centre in town.
FOR MORE HELPFUL POSTS AND LINKS:
- Toledo Photos: More Photos From This UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Helpful tips for Madrid
- 12 Free Things To Do In Madrid
- 24 Hours In Madrid: An Itinerary
- For more travel tips and other destination guides
- Use this link to book the best deals on your accommodations
- Use this link to research your flights and car rental
- Get $35 off your first stay with Air Bnb by using this link