Holtkamp: Amsterdam’s Best Kroketten
While I was cleaning my old Euro hard drive, I came across some great photos of when I was in Amsterdam. I don’t talk much about my time in Europe from my round the world trip, but I did enjoy my travels there. In Amsterdam, my friend Mattijs (pronounced Ma-tesh) hosted me. We met in Bali on my first visit there. While I was in Amsterdam, one of the memories that stand out was him taking me for kroketten.
What is kroketten?
Kroketten is the Dutch word for a croquette. Kroketten or a croquette is a small ball of food that is rolled up, covered in breadcrumbs, and then fried. The filling is usually mashed potatoes with ground meat or seafood, cheese, vegetables, and then mixed with a béchamel or brown sauce. Many countries have a version of this.
TRIP PLANNING STARTS HERE
- Dutch Street Food You Need To Eat In The Netherlands!
- An Amsterdam Photo Diary + Tips
- Travelling Around Europe? Go here for all of my travel guides
- Arnette’s favourite gear and gadgets for travel and daily life
- Follow me! Pinterest | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook
HELPFUL GENERAL TRAVEL TIPS
- Flights: Find a cheap flight using Skyscanner or Momondo. I like these two booking sites because they both search all websites and airlines around the globe including budget airlines.
- Accommodations: I use Booking.com or Tripadvisor to find the best rates on hotels. Hotels.com offers a free night after booking 10 nights
- Get up to $40 off your first Air Bnb stay by using this code!
- Travel Insurance: Having gotten sick on my travels in the past, I never travel without being insured. You never know when something may happen. For my round the world trip and extended long-term travel, I use World Nomads. For other trips, I have used Roam Right and they cover activities like extreme sports.
Mattijs took me to a place called Holtkamp, a patisserie around the corner from his place. They are famous for their pastries and sweets as well as their kroketten. After he brought me there the first time, I returned on my own to have a savory snack of a veal or shrimp croquette and then scoot off to explore Amsterdam.
These krokettens are the bomb!
If you are in Amsterdam and love trying local food, go to Holtkamp and have one or a few. I can’t remember the price for one but I am sure only a couple of Euros. It’s a great snack to take on the road until you find stands for oliebollen, poffertjes, and other delicious Dutch street food. Oh boy…those Dutch know how to take care of munchies!
1017 HM Amsterdam, Netherlands
+31 20 624 8757