Carcross – Caribou Crossing Yukon | A Must-Do Day Trip From Whitehorse
Will You Be In Whitehorse Or Skagway? Visit Carcross!
Are you planning a trip to the Yukon or Skagway in Alaska? If you are heading up north and will be spending any time in Whitehorse, be sure to set aside some time for a day trip to Carcross. The original name for this town is Caribou Crossing because caribou did cross here! Now shortened to Carcross (even cooler sounding), this town, home to the Tagish First Nation, is about 46 miles (74 km) south and a great place to go for a few hours. It’s a small town but it’s very cute and there are several things to do for people of all ages including families with children!
Content updated April 2019
**Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. There is no additional cost to you, if you click through an affiliate link and make a purchase, I may make a commission.**
TRIP PLANNING STARTS HERE
- 5 Reasons To Visit The Yukon
- How to Spend 24 Hours In Whitehorse, Yukon
- Riding The White Pass & Yukon Rail
- Tombstone Territorial Park: An Other-Worldly Yukon Wild Experience
- Arnette’s favourite gear and gadgets for travel and daily life
- For more travel tips and other destination guides
- Follow me! Pinterest | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook
HELPFUL GENERAL TRAVEL TIPS
- Flights: Find a cheap flight using Skyscanner or Momondo. I like these two booking sites because they both search all websites and airlines around the globe including budget airlines.
- Accommodations: I use Booking.com or Tripadvisor to find the best rates on hotels. Hotels.com offers a free night after booking 10 nights.
- Get up to $40 off your first Air Bnb stay by using this code!
- Travel Insurance: Having gotten sick on my travels in the past, I never travel without being insured. You never know when something may happen. For my round the world trip and extended long-term travel, I use World Nomads. For other trips, I have used Roam Right and they cover activities like extreme sports.
If you’re riding the White Pass And Yukon Rail from Skagway, depending on your particular excursion, you may stop in Carcross. If you want to see photos and video from that experience, I wrote more about it here. Our group ended here as did many Alaska cruise ship passengers who were doing land excursions.
Round The World Girl In The Yukon!
Read more: How to spend 24 Hours in Whitehorse
Carcross Desert – The World’s Smallest Desert
Carcross Desert is actually several sand dunes and not technically a desert. They were made by silt from glacier lakes. We just stopped here for a photo opp on our way to the next place but since I have been to a small section of the biggest desert (the Sahara) in the world, I was very excited to have visited the smallest.
Carcross Trading Post
We stopped in the Carcross Trading Post which is just a bit north of Carcross Commons and where you stop on the White Pass & Yukon Rail train. There’s a cafe here as well as two museums and a petting farm. The petting farm area has dog sled puppies so I couldn’t resist playing with them. I looked at the wildlife museum which are taxidermied animals of the Yukon but I skipped the RCMP museum to play with the puppies.
In the Wildlife Museum
Have you been to Carcross before? Share some tips!
Don’t forget to save this to Pinterest