GoVichy: A Perfect Self-Care Spa Day In San Diego For Girlfriends
The world is all about self-care right now and so am I! Taking care of myself at home and the occasional splurge on treatments like facials and massages is a must. When I travel I treat myself to experiences like a hammam in Morocco, hot springs in Palm Springs and Banff, Nordic-inspired spas in Canada or daily (or even twice daily) massages in Thailand. It’s actually one thing I don’t do enough of when I’m at home in San Diego which is when I need it the most. Recently my girlfriend Desiree and I had a girls’ self-care day. We tried a newer spa in our area called GoVichy which is in Encinitas in Northern San Diego.
Hi I’m Arnette and I love spa treatments
I’ve been to a handful of spas in the San Diego area since I moved here from Canada. I’ve been to the spa at La Costa Resort, the spa at Coronado Island, and some budget-friendly massage places in down south in Kearny Mesa. None of them have been all that appealing to me where I have gone back on a regular basis. The spas tend to be either beautiful but the treatments are overpriced for what I am receiving. Or they are budget-friendly but the room in which I’m getting a treatment doesn’t feel clean.
My girlfriend Desiree and I drove to GoVichy which is in a nondescript mini-mall along Encinitas Boulevard. You have to look a bit hard since the signage is small. If you see a swim store, it’s located behind there!
When we arrived we checked in and filled out a questionnaire. Since it was my first time, I was not really sure what to expect. I wasn’t sure if I should wear a bathing suit so I brought one in case. In case you’re the type who likes to know what’ happening beforehand, here is the lowdown:
What Happens At Your Vichy Spa Treatment (I had a 90 minute Vichy Treatment)
- Check in when you arrive
- If it is your first visit, fill out a questionnaire
- Wait till you are called for your treatment
- You will be given a robe and directed to the change room
- Undress fully (yes naked)
- In your locker are a small basket with spa slippers, disposable underwear, a washcloth, and a shower cap.
- Put on the disposable underwear and robe
- You will be then shown to a shower room
- Take a shower – I had actually showered and washed my hair before because I never know what kind of shampoo and conditioner is available so I prefer to use my own
- Dry off with towels provided in the shower room, put the robe back on, tie hair back if you have long hair
- You will now go to the treatment room and begin your service
The girlfriend or couple treatment room
Once I entered the room, my attendant Grace told me to lay down the treatment table. She stepped out while I got on the bed. When she came back in, she started exfoliating me. I was laying on my stomach and she started scrubbing away. She exfoliated every single centimeter of my body. I flipped over and she went to town on my front side. I don’t think I have been this clean since my hammam in Morocco 2 years ago.
After Grace exfoliated me, she turned on the Vichy Spa shower. If you’re wondering what it is, it’s a multi-head shower waterfall (photo above). She also had a handheld showerhead and was rinsing me off with that too. I was beyond squeaky clean! Once Grace was done washing me off, it was time for my massage. I asked for strong pressure and Grace delivered! She also used hot stones on my back which felt amazing. After my massage, I felt so relaxed. Like I was floating on air.
Hot stones during our massages
My girlfriend Desiree started her treatment shortly after me so it wasn’t tandem. I am sure if you ask for a tandem appointment they can make it happen. I was feeling so relaxed I was not quite ready to move and Grace said I could take my time. It was nice to be able to relax before heading out to the waiting room. I hate feeling rushed after having such a relaxing experience.
Someone is happy and relaxed
GoVichy is a unique day spa in North County San Diego. I’m a fan of Asian spas but I don’t necessarily want to 45 minutes drive down south to Convoy or drive 2 hours to have a spa experience. Having GoVichy close to me in Northern San Diego is amazing. If you want to have a self-care day by yourself, with your significant other, or a girlfriend as I did, you won’t regret it! The price is fantastic for the kind of treatment you receive.
FOR MORE HELPFUL POSTS AND LINKS:
- For more travel tips and other destination guides
- My Hammam Experience in Morocco and tips for first timers
- My favorite hotels in San Diego
- Marriott Coronado – A Perfect SoCal Staycation
- Use this link to book the best deals on your accommodations with Booking.com
- Use this link to research your flights and car rental on Skyscanner
- Get up to a $40 discount on your first stay with Air BNB by using my referral link
Don’t forget to save this to Pinterest
**Disclaimer: Please note I was invited by GoVichy and my experience was complimentary. As always opinions stated are my solely own.*