Iona Beach: A Hidden Gem In Richmond BC
Have you ever heard of Iona Beach?
Most people who visit Richmond BC, go there for its delicious Asian food or Steveston, a fisherman’s village. Iona Beach is one of its beaches and one of my favourite places. Many people who have lived and grown up in the Vancouver Lower Mainland don’t even know about the beaches in Richmond. Iona Beach is definitely a hidden gem.
Iona Beach near the Vancouver Airport
A great place to watch the planes take off
Took a fun fisheye photo with my Olloclip Lens
Close to the airport, Iona Beach is made up of a jetty of sand and grass near the mouth of the Fraser River. You can hang out and watch the planes land and take off here. If you’re into bird watching, you can see more than 300 kinds of birds that spend time in the area. One afternoon my friend and I got some coffee and just sat on a log and chatted for a few hours. We don’t often get to do that these days with so much going on in our lives but this is the perfect place to do that. You almost feel like you’re not in Richmond at all!
If you’re an avid cyclist or a runner looking for a long flat stretch of road, or even a dog owner, this is a perfect place to come. I haven’t gone cycling here since I was a little kid but it would be easy to come here via Skytrain now. You can take the Canada Line to the Templeton Station and then cycle here.
For more official info, click here.
Have you ever been to Iona Beach? What are some of your other favourite places in Richmond?
MORE TRIP PLANNING RESOURCES
- Arnette’s favourite gear and gadgets for travel and daily life
- For more travel tips and other destination guides
- Follow me! Pinterest | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook
HELPFUL GENERAL TRAVEL TIPS
- Flights: Find a cheap flight using Skyscanner or Momondo. I like these two booking sites because they both search all websites and airlines around the globe including budget airlines.
- Accommodations: I use Booking.com or Tripadvisor to find the best rates on hotels. Hotels.com offers a free night after booking 10 nights.
- Get up to $40 off your first Air Bnb stay by using this code!
- Travel Insurance: Having gotten sick on my travels in the past, I never travel without being insured. You never know when something may happen. For my round the world trip and extended long-term travel, I use World Nomads. For other trips, I have used Roam Right and they cover activities like extreme sports.