La Mer Du Nord: The Best Mussels In Brussels On A Budget
Are you visiting Brussels soon? Go To La Mer Du Nord
While I didn’t stay in Brussels more than a few hours, I did quite enjoy delicious mussels at a seafood shop and cafe that I randomly came across. When I was walking from Grote Mrkt to a Christmas market, I noticed this shop/cafe called La Mer Du Nord bustling with patrons. It was a seafood shop and cafe and figured since it was busy, it had to be good. I continued shopping around the Christmas market for a bit and when I couldn’t find anything else that looked appealing to eat, I walked back to La Mer du Nord.
La Mer du Nord busy with locals and tourists
TRIP PLANNING STARTS HERE
- A post about Bruges, Belgium
- Arnette’s favourite gear and gadgets for travel and daily life
- For more travel tips and other destination guides
- Follow me! Pinterest | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook
HELPFUL GENERAL TRAVEL TIPS
- Flights: Find a cheap flight using Skyscanner or Momondo. I like these two booking sites because they both search all websites and airlines around the globe including budget airlines.
- Accommodations: I use Booking.com or Tripadvisor to find the best rates on hotels. Hotels.com offers a free night after booking 10 nights.
- Travel Insurance: Having gotten sick on my travels in the past, I never travel without being insured. You never know when something may happen. For my round the world trip and extended long-term travel, I use World Nomads. For other trips, I have used Roam Right and they cover activities like extreme sports.
- Get up to $40 off your first Air Bnb stay by using this code!
The cafe doesn’t have any indoor seating just stools in front and high tables for standing. I snagged a seat and ordered mussels prepared with white wine. If I recall correctly it cost me 8 Euros for the mussels, some bread, and a beer. Over in the tourist zone by Grote Mrkt or the central square of the city, plates of poorly done mussels cost around 25 Euros. Here it is fresh since it is also a seafood shop. It’s packed with both locals and tourists and well rated online.
If you’re in Brussels and like seafood, make a point to eat here!
One of the staff at La Mer du Nord
You bet I had some beer in Brussels!
My beer and some mussels in Brussels :)
A close up of my white wine and mussels plate