RTW Travel Essential: Petzl Head Torch/Head Lamp
One of the most common questions I am asked about my trip is, “What did you pack?”. It’s hard to pack your whole life into one bag for a month, let alone 19 months. Many travellers who take an RTW trip tend to stay in one region with one climate. Nope, not me. I originally planned to follow the sun but went to Australia and New Zealand in the summer, SE Asia which is pretty hot all the time and ended up in Europe in the dead of winter. One of my most valuable items was my Petzl head torch.
TRIP PLANNING STARTS HERE
- Arnette’s favourite gear and gadgets for travel and daily life
- For more travel tips and other destination guides
- Follow me! Pinterest | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook
HELPFUL GENERAL TRAVEL TIPS
- Flights: Find a cheap flight using Skyscanner or Momondo. I like these two booking sites because they both search all websites and airlines around the globe including budget airlines.
- Accommodations: I use Booking.com or Tripadvisor to find the best rates on hotels
- Travel Insurance: Having gotten sick on my travels in the past, I never travel without being insured. You never know when something may happen. For my round the world trip and extended long-term travel, I use World Nomads. For other trips, I have used Roam Right and they cover activities like extreme sports.
- Get up to $40 off your first Air Bnb stay by using this code!
The photo below was taken at the Catacombs in Paris. There is light down there but being the wuss that I am, I needed extra and just happen to have my head torch in my purse.
Everyone either seemed to pack either a flashlight or a head torch. Prior to leaving, I read a blog post by a girl who camped out on the Great Wall of China and said it was great to have the ability to be hands-free for dark nights and having your arms and hands to balance. I saw another post about reading in the dark on overnight buses or trains and not disturbing the people around you. The best use of my head torch was on Palawan in the Philippines where we only had electricity from 6 pm to midnight. Everything shut off at midnight which included the lights at the town bar we frequented. Stumbling back to our beach bungalow was an adventure and the torch was, at that very moment, the best thing I packed.
To buy this Petzl torch click here