Travel Makeup | What I Pack In My Travel Makeup Bag
Doing a round the world trip with one bag didn’t stop me from bringing a travel makeup bag or force me to stop wearing makeup on my trip. Seeing what’s in other people’s medicine cabinets and makeup bags is interesting to me, so I thought I would share what was in my travel makeup bag for my round the world trip.
In general, I don’t wear a lot of makeup and I wear even less when I travel. Most of my travel days, I just wore sunscreen with a little bit of blush, pumped my eyelashes with my eyelash curler, and swiped on some mascara. Many days I was barefaced because I was on the beach or out in the water swimming, snorkelling, or surfing. But there were times on my trip when I found myself going out dancing with friends, attending nice dinners, and even attending art gallery openings on a moment’s notice. Luckily I packed a basic travel makeup bag, but I also found some makeup I loved on the road as well.
Here’s what was in my travel makeup bag (what I use on the regular):
- Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer in Sand – makeup/sunscreen 2 in 1 (I ran out on the road and bought Bobbi Brown’s BB cream with SPF 35 when I was at a duty-free)
- Laura Mercier secret concealer – concealer and finishing powder – another multi-purpose item
- Nars Laguna/Orgasm bronzer blush duo – multi-purpose item, I do not look alive without some blush on my face
- Shu Uemura eyelash curler – my eyelashes are stick straight and need a lot of help
- Benefit Bad Gal mascara – I buy the travel size mascara at Sephora for $10. After about 3 months, I toss my mascara so I don’t like to buy the full size
- Benefit Bad Gal eyeliner
- Stila eyeshadow palette that I put together for nights out.
- Lipgloss: Nars Chihuahua
- Lip Smacker in Dr. Pepper: Gives a hint of colour, is less than $2 and the big glue stick size is easy to find in a bottomless pit of a purse
- I have makeup brushes from Stila, MAC and Eco Tools. Eco Tools has a great budget priced kit that I highly recommend
- Beauty Blender: I like using this over foundation brush for the tinted moisturizer or BB cream
When I was travelling, I wasn’t too worried about running out of things on the road. When I was in Thailand,d I came across Boots Drugs, Watsons in the Philippines, and you can find Sephora in Kuala Lumpur and Singapore. There are department stores that carry high-end brands and of course if you’re in a place long enough, you can have items shipped.
One of my favourite things about travelling is finding products that are only available in a certain country or region. Australia was fantastic for organic skincare and brands I’ve never heard of before like Aesop (now dominating the whole world), Jurlique, and Trilogy. If you’re in Hong Kong be sure to check out Sasa. It’s like an Asian beauty emporium all over the city. When I’m in Hong Kong, I stock up on Asian beauty products and face masks. Duty-free at the airport is fabulous as well. The duty-free in Dubai was amazing as are Singapore and Hong Kong.